About the Journal
Acta clinica Croatica, a professional and scientific journal of the Sestre milosrdnice University Hospital Center and the Institute of Clinical Medical Research, Zagreb, Croatia was founded in 1962 by Vladimir Hudolin as Anali Bolnice “Dr. Mladen Stojanović” (ISSN 0523-9419). The journal has changed its format and cover twice, and the name three times, following changes in the name of the Hospital.
So, from 1962 until 1971, the name of the journal was Anali Bolnice “Dr. M. Stojanović”. Journal contents were published in Croatian with summaries in a foreign language. In 1971, the Dr. Mladen Stojanović Hospital was affiliated to the University of Zagreb and named Dr. Mladen Stojanović University Hospital (Klinička bolnica “Dr. Mladen Stojanović”). Consequently, the journal was renamed Anali Kliničke bolnice “Dr. M. Stojanović” (ISSN 0301-2255, supplement ISSN 0301-2263).
In 1991, the Hospital name was changed into its original name Sestre milosrdnice University Hospital (Klinička bolnica “Sestre milosrdnice”) used from the Hospital foundation in 1846 to the end of the Second World War. A completely different title was given to the journal, Acta Clinica Croatica (ISSN 0353-9466, supplement ISSN 0353-9474). Papers were published either in Croatian or English. As of number 3 for 1995, the journal is published only in English with abstracts in Croatian and a new larger format of the journal and a new design of the cover page by Mihajlo Arsovski have been introduced.
In 2000, the electronic (online) edition of the Acta Clinica Croatica was released in addition to the print version. New sections were added, the journal appeared regularly quarterly and the number of papers submitted for publication has doubled. The free access to journal contents is available on the Sestre milosrdnice Hospital web page (from 2000 to 2012) and on the portal of Croatian scientific journals named HRČAK from 2000 to date (http://hrcak.srce.hr/acta-clinica-croatica)
From the foundation of the journal, Professor Vladimir Hudolin, M.D., Ph.D., Head of the Psychiatry Department of the Dr. Mladen Stojanović Hospital, was Editor-in-Chief for as long as 27 years, from 1962 till 1989. The journal reflected its Editor-in-Chief’s rich professional, scientific and organizational activities, especially in the 1970s and 1980s. So, presentations from all symposia on alcoholism held in Zagreb, then papers from the Third International Congress of Social Psychiatry, and First Yugoslav Congress on Alcoholism were published.
Professor Hudolin managed to maintain balance between the so-called ‘his own topics’ and other professions from the Hospital. Besides numerous papers by other physicians and issues dedicated to some renowned physicians from the Hospital, there were special issues bringing papers presented at professional meetings held at the Hospital. „Days of Ophthalmology“ were first to appear to be soon followed by „Days of Urology“. From the very first issue of the journal, supplements bringing doctoral dissertations of the Hospital physicians were published, and from 1978 student contributions, book reviews, lists of papers published by Hospital physicians during the current year, etc.
On the occasion of the 140th anniversary of the Hospital in 1985, all issues of the respective journal volume contained articles on the Hospital departments and institutes, and on the development of particular professions, preceded by a brief editorial written by Professor Hudolin on the history and role of the respective Hospital department or institute. Two special issues were also published, one with bibliography of the Hospital employees from 1883 till 1985, and the other bringing historical and actual presentations of departments and institutes prepared by their heads.